We are proud and humbled to actively participate in the Shelter program run by CARITAS once a year. CARITAS (Congregations Around Richmond Involved To Assure Shelter) was organized in the early 1980’s to respond to the huge unmet need for emergency shelter for homeless adults in the cold winter months. Although we will not be hosting overnight guests this year, we will still assist with meals, lunches or other things that may be needed.
FIVE FACTS YOU MAY NOT KNOW ABOUT CARITAS
1) Every willing guest of CARITAS is assigned a case worker who individually works through the legal, mental, medical or financial obstacles standing between the guest and self-sufficiency.
2) CARITAS provides substance abuse counseling.
3) All children are enrolled in school within 24 hours of entering CARITAS.
4) 73% of single adults and 89% of families find housing through CARITAS.
5) All guests of CARITAS in case management are required to save 75% of their earned income into an escrow account, which they will use to secure permanent housing.
Caritas does more than providing shelter:
The Healing Place was brought to Richmond in 2005 when the Richmond Task Force on Homelessness identified a major need for addiction recovery resources for homeless men in Richmond
Works, a five-week, 8 hour a day job and life skills development program for motivated individuals who have barriers to employment. The program encompasses Job Search skills, Life Skills and Job Placement Support and Follow up.
The Furniture Bank is a socially responsible community resource that collects furniture and household essentials and distributes them to local families and individuals in need.
The CARITAS logo represents the idea that the combined efforts of many people can support those who need it most.
Learn more about CARITAS at http://caritasva.org/